Friday, August 29, 2008

Impressive In Their Own Way...

With the advent of digital imaging, it is easy to take lots of pictures and throw out most of them. Though I have a nice camera (Canon 20Da and XSi), I don't have the expensive autofocus, image stabilized lenses that cost as much as a good used car. Mostly for birds I use a small Meade 80mm telescope that cost about $500 with a monopod to help steady the exposure. Precise focus is almost always a guess, but as I said, take lots and throw out almost as many... And with the new cameras, you can take bursts of several exposures per second.



Anyway, sometimes interesting things happen and while not what you were really after, the result is intriguing. The case in point here is when the birds I'm stalking take off and are aerial blurs with a beauty all their own. Not the photo I wanted, but too cool to discard... Pictured top to bottom is a Cedar Waxwing, Red-Headed Woodpecker, and a Hairy Woodpecker (top one with the Meade, bottom 2 with a 200mm zoom).

No comments: