Monday, November 24, 2008

Hi Ho..Hi Ho...It's off to work....

For the first time in a while, I saw Dean off to work this morning and I am left at home! He wasn't sure, last evening, if he was working today but they called him this morning. After the past 5 months of him waving me off to work - it seems strange for him to be going!

I have been working the past few nights and haven't been contributing to the blog - other than the Pluto debate from the other day. Work is improving steadily. I am learning lots of new things, and refreshing memories of things I've maybe done once before and now need to do them almost daily! Everyone I've met has been very supportive and encouraging, and that helps a lot. I finally had the opportunity to tour the Labor & Delivery area, as well as the Normal Newborn nursery. So, after a rocky first week of orientation - the second week was improved (additionally, it was pay week so now I have real incentive to work!). I'm still not wild about the concept of 12 hour shifts, but it's nice to get my hours done in three nights so that I have the rest of the week to do what I want. It just takes some getting used to. Fortunately, Dean packs me a sandwich to take with me to work. Yes, I could do it myself but he makes better sandwiches than I do! When I did 8 hour shifts I would snack a lot during the night, but not sit down and eat a sandwich (or meal). I find that with the 12 hour shift I don't snack, but really rely on that break and lunch about 2am. This is all pretty dull stuff to tell about!

Our friend, and matchmaker (she introduced Dean and I), Jane came over for dinner last night! We cooked burgers on the grill, had homemade potato salad, and grilled white asparagus. All was nummy and we had fun visiting! Tonight we are meeting our buddy, Chuck, at one of the new microbrewery's - just south of campus. As luck has it, Jane and friends will be there too! I think we'll be taking over the place! We haven't seen Chuck since the Grand Canyon, in June. It will be good to catch up with him.

Time for me to get busy and do some errands (bank, etc.). Since I don't make coffee here at home, I think that first errand stop will be at the local 'Bux or equivalent!

No comments: