Friday, January 16, 2009

Finally...the end of a project!

After, literally, months of working on the 'new' table and chairs for the dining area - the project is virtually complete! Granted, there were many days that I didn't work on the chairs (work, other fun things to do, uncooperative weather, etc.) - but the final phase has been this morning. If you don't feel like going back in the archive to figure out what I'm talking about - here's the recap....

Shortly after arriving in Tucson I convinced Dean that it was time for a 'new' dining room table and chairs. He had the previous set for a couple of decades, it was time. We had discussed this even prior to coming to Tucson, and I had voiced that I envisioned a nice, old (antique), oak, pedestal table. After doing some shopping around I found the exact table at an antique mall for the price I wanted to pay. It would need some 'cleaning up', but would be worth the effort. There were no chairs to go with that table, but that would make the project more exciting...finding chairs! By visiting several thrift shops, Dean and I were able to find 4 chairs (oak) of similar design - all in great condition (but varying colors of stains and finishes) for no more than $15. per chair! Dean had two chairs already, left from Vicki's (his late wife) belongings. They are great chairs, so they set the tone of what type of chairs we should look for. After much stripping, sanding with a sander, then hand sanding, and restaining and sealing the wood - the chairs are finished, dried, and in use! I had done some cleanup work on the table, but thought I could still get a nicer finish. I was so pleased with the product I used on the chairs (MinWax Wood Sheen in Windsor Oak) that I decided to put a coat on the two "Vicki chairs" as well as the table. I am currently watching the finish on the table dry. Watching it dry is as exciting as it sounds -but it serves a purpose. With 8 cats roaming the house (Lance never comes inside) I have had to 'touch up' two areas of kitty prints already. Overall, the table and chairs have turned out exactly like I envisioned! I'm ready to hit the rest of the wood in the house with the MixWax stuff! We don't like to recommend products, etc - but this really is great stuff if you're refinishing some furniture. Of course, with the low humidity and warm temperatures here, the dry time is even less than the two hours that they say on the bottle. That's not a bad thing when cats are involved! This project being complete now opens the door for other projects.....hmmm, time to try out that new reciprocating saw I got for Christmas....

(Addendum: For some reason, the table is not drying a quickly as I thought it would. It may have to do with the existing finish that was on the table, and the combination of the chemicals, that is causing a longer dry time. Be aware of that if you decide to use the above mentioned product!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Testing the new set up for comments.