Sunday, December 7, 2014

In The Harsh Light of Day...

As if our life needed more excitement, fate stepped in last night.  On our way home from last night's sunset trip, we got rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light...  It wasn't a tap, it was a pretty hard shot.  Fortunately his bumper missed our bumper, and the "give" provided by the rear door likely saved us from a bigger jolt.  As it was we both had sore backs - of course, Melinda is suffering from a painful back anyway going back to her fall way back in September, and it didn't help her any.  But it wasn't so bad we had to go to the emergency room.  Interestingly, the police were there in about 20 seconds - about the time I got out of the van!  The other driver took full responsibility and I'll see the insurance company tomorrow to see what they can do.

Of course, I love my ole' van.  It is an '88, so is now 27 years old and it's got 365,000 miles, of which I've put on 300,000 in the 20 years I've owned it.  It is still fun to drive, so I'm hoping they don't total it out for the likely $500 bluebook value of it...  It has been ultra-reliable for me, well, there was that time when the wheel fell off, but other than that...  It can still be driven, the lights even still work though the right side cover broke in the impact.  The rear windows are ok too, though the frames highly warped and the doors are jammed.  I'm thinking it is reparable with a couple new doors and corner panel.  My seat got warped/broken too and needs attention.  Fingers crossed, we'll get some news on what is possible tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you both are ok!! The benefits of riding in a tank, eh? So... what's the verdict? Can the van be repaired, or is the hunt on for a new beast?

~ Ewica