Monday, May 21, 2012

Out of the Blue

Some times it just pays to be at the right place, right time, and have your finger on the button.  We've just returned from the Grand Canyon, where we observed the Annular Solar Eclipse from Lipan Point.  That will be another blog post, to be sure!
Before the big event I had to 'practice' photographing the sun through the solar filter Dean made for my camera.  The gods were with me on this one, and I wish I could say I "planned" it - but I'm happy to take credit for dumb luck all the same.  I'm not sure what kind of jet this is, F-16?  F-18?  Military, certainly.  I like that the contrail is visible, and even better that the multiple sun spots are visible.  Lot's of people took spectacular eclipse pictures, but I'm just about sure no one else got this shot!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwsssome photo mel! very cool. looks like an F18 to me. just amazing timing. you should submit it to apod, well, unless there is some security issue. would be worth exploring though.

love this shot

Unknown said...

Truly a great capture! It is indeed an F16 - had to be pretty close to cover that much of the sun. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

with the dual vertical stabilizers, not likely an f-16

none the less, a very cool shot

Ken Spencer said...

I am guessing F-15. There are some based at Albuquerque, but not sure if they are in Tucson as well. --ken spencer

Ken Spencer said...

I change my vote... It is an F-18. Duh! on my part.

Ken Spencer said...

I am changing my mind. It's an FA-18. Duh!

Ken Spencer said...

I am changing my mind. It is an FA-18. Duh!

Anonymous said...

F/18 super hornet, notice the square intakes.

Anonymous said...

Definitely F/A-18 - twin vertical stabilizers excludes F-16, wingtip rails exclude F-15. I can't discern features enough to decide between Hornet and Super Hornet though.

What amazing timing on that shot!

Michael in SoCal said...

Great shot. It is indeed an F/A-18. F-18s (their short name) are twin tailed, and have missile rails on their wing tips. Also note the tail horizontal stabilizers extending beyond the vertical stabilizers. And anonymous is correct in that we can't accurately distinguish if it a heritage Hornet, or the modernized Super Hornet, but the Super Hornet is a bulkier airframe than the Hornet, so I'd guess this is a Hornet.